About Me

A geologist to be learning and growing more in Jesus Christ. Yes, he is my Rock!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Daily Devos #2

The Chapter of the day: Genesis 40:1-14, 23 Genesis 40:1-23 (New International Version - UK)

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis%2040:1-23&version=64;

I think this is a very interesting passage about Joseph, Cupbearer, and the Baker. A common story but something just stood out.

Scripture: The verse that just pops to me in this simple chapter was verse 14 and 15.

14 But when all goes well with you, remember me and show me kindness; mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. 15 For I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon.

Observation: I think this verse really speaks about "seizing the opportune time" and knowing God's season. You see,as most of us know about the story about Joseph, he knew his God's given destiny since he was pretty young. Imagine the time and tribulations he faced. Sold by his own brothers, accused by Pothiphar's wife, locked in the dungeon . I would never know how it was like to be in his shoes. Furthermore, if i were in his shoes, most probably i would have given up on my God given destiny. Imagine getting kicked out from a considerably rich family and being the least of the least in the social rank; a prisoner? From young , Joseph was treated badly and like an irritating dirty rag. I'm amazed at his constant zeal and love from God even when he was "abuse" from the start. I bet he never blamed God buthe remained focus on the goal. Would a prisoner ever dream to be a ruler one day? Imagine all the odds pointing towards him? Really such patience and zeal.

Now this brings me to the next part, the seizing of opportunity. I could see how Joseph was "smart" in that situation. It may seem that he is begging but i think he was "smart"(i can't rmb the proper term) . He never forget about God's given destiny and seized that golden opportunity. If he had forgotten all about God, i bet he'll just be mopping to himself and not interpret those dreams which could have helped himself(and by God). Personally, i feel that sometimes we as God's children need to act before we receive the blessings and His plan. How can God bless you if you don't study? How can God bless you financially if you're lazy? Though God can miracously send a blessing straight from heaven, i think God prefers to shaped us to be perfect man and woman of God by putting these challenges for us. So far i have not read anything about and Man and Woman of God that had not faced trials before they peaked "in their career" . Just like Joseph, he knew his destiny so he seized that opportunity. Although the cupbearer forgotten about him, after two years, Joseph was freed because the cupbearer mentioned him to Pharoah (40:15). Hence, dont' despise small beginnings , actions of faith , and seizing the opportune time from God. I like what this author said : Patience meand awaiting God's time without doubting God's love. That is clearly what Joseph did.

Application: Overall, it is important to know and discern God's given plan and season of time. Joseph could have missed the mark if he didn't! Not only that, it is important to learn to be patient even things don't come your way . Learn to wait on God . You may not know it now but who knows? Great future awaits you! Note to self: Be more patient!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, thank you for showing this example about Joseph who is patient man. Help us to be focused on your will , vision and plan so that we will know to open the right doors and discern your directions. Helped me to wait on You and know that you have a great plan for my life and not to complain and grumble when things don't seem to come my way. Indeed , you're a great God and you will always make the way for me. Amen!

No comments:

Followers